Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Good-bye Tumultous Tuesday!

I know I've fallen behind on this blogging business! Who knew that when a four-year-old, two-year-old, four-month-old and laundry all teamed up they could tire you out faster than a workout with Jillian Michaels?! 

Let me give you a quick recap of my day!
Today was spent running errands..

First, we dropped off a neighbor, Rory, at the air base. He deployed to the Middle East this afternoon. As he said his goodbyes he paused and said to Heidi (the lady I'm here helping) "wait, will I see you guys when I get back?" To which Heidi replied "no."--And there IT was.. the giant bag full of emotions (and perspective) I managed to dodge at the airport when I left my family.. BOOM! Couldn't dodge it this time. Here is a guy, only 24 years old, leaving everything familiar, which he's already done a time or two during his years of service, to live in a desert...a desert...so that you and I can continue to live in the land of the FREE!--back to the story. When he returns from the Middle East this family that he's become close friends with will be reassigned. This afternoon could realistically be the last time they see one another. Woah! Then all the things he's leaving behind begin racing through my head and I felt like I couldn't thank him enough.

Pray for Rory and Matt (the father and husband of the family I'm living with) as they sacrifice time with their loved ones, every day comforts, and much more to serve our country. Also, please take the time today to thank someone that you know serving in the military. Let them know that they are cared about and prayed for and that their hard work and sacrifice don't go unnoticed.

Next, we went to a few German stores (which screams "ADVENTURE!!!!!"). We had dinner in Kaufland. I can't compare it to anywhere I've ever been (besides Edeka, but that's also German so it doesn't really help). It's a grocery store with a mini mall feel. When you walk in there are restaurants and shops lining the walls, then an entrance to the grocery part of the store. We got sandwiches at one of the delis before shopping. I walked to up to the counter, sweating (I was nervous! I only speak English and they all speak German). I ask "can I get a sandwich?" To which the lady replies "German word German words more German words" I'm clueless, so naturally I reply "ham?" She points at a giant slab of ham and I nod my head yes. She cuts the slab in half (remeber this is a GIANT slab of ham) and places one half on a white roll and hand it's to me. I was so shocked all I could say was "cheese?" She must've been shocked too because she just left! I waited (still sweating). She came back with my sandwich: half a giant slab of ham, on a white roll, with cheese. 

Graphic picture of my sandwich. Isn't that the most giant slab of ham?!

As I paid I ask for a bottle of water, she pointed me to a cooler and gave me my change. After looking at almost every bottle in the cooler and determining they were all beer (now I believe it's true what they say about Germans, they drink beer like its water!) I ask her for water again... and she left.. again. So I waited again! (Thankfully body language-or in this case leaving- is a universal language!) This time I received water! Bubbly water (they carbonate everything here-water and juice), but water nonetheless! I enjoyed my sandwich while gawking over some beautiful desserts in the bakery across from me. I hope you're dinner was just as exciting! :)

While grocery shopping a few things caught my eye and I just had to have pictures of them. Here they are for your viewing pleasure:

Don't be fooled! This is not a pet store! It's tons of yummy fresh bread!


Yes, they have tons of fresh bread and sell what they call bread for an "American Sandwich" Funny, right?

Who doesn't need a giant can of cigarettes at check out?

The usual last minute grab your attention items: candy, chap stick, iTunes card, air freshener, and alcohol..WHAT?



Hope you enjoyed a short trip to the German grocery store! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment