Saturday, February 1, 2014

Blessings in Berlin






Hanging out with the Berlin Bear (mascot of Berlin) on Unter den Linden, one of the most famous streets in Berlin.












Clearly, we hit it off and became best friends! 

I have had the most wonderful week! It's been so wonderful that I am not able to count everything on both hands and feet!

I was able to visit my long lost friend Carolin in Berlin, where she grew up! Carolin and I met when she came to Alabama as an exchange student back in 2005. We have stayed in touch via Facebook for the past eight years and always talked about me coming to visit Germany. However, after a few years I wasn't too confident that I would ever have the opportunity. Thankful the Lord provided an opportunity for me to live in Germany for three months, making Berlin a "short" 7 hour train ride away! God is good to us, isn't He?! It was amazing how we picked up right where we left off eight years ago. As if we hadn't missed a beat! Reuniting with friends after time apart and feeling right at home is really one of the sweetest blessings. 


My short time in Berlin was wonderful! Full of exhaustion, rest, and sweet revitalization! I'm not quite sure how I'm going to fit all of the wonder into a blog for you all! I have so much to blog about and not much time to sit down and blog.

Let's see...



My interest for history began in middle school, but my love for history was really sparked in Dr. Freshwater's US History classes at Snead State the summer after my sophomore year of high school. Berlin is FULL OF HISTORY and I was eating up every detail! In school we learned about World War II and the Cold War, but I really had an appreciation for the details I was able to learn in Berlin. I'll spare you all the history lessons and share some pictures!


In front of the Berlin Dom, First built in 1465 as a parish church, it was only finally completed in 1905 under the last German Kaiser -Wilhelm II. Damaged during the Second World War it remained closed during the GDR years and reopened after restoration in 1993.  
The Berlin Bear. Berlin's Mascot, you can find them all over the city.
Enjoying one of our many bus rides around the inner city.
I found hopping around on public transportation quite fun!

Another at the Berlin Dom.
Door of the Berlin Dom.

Entering the sanctuary in the Berlin Dom
Inside the Berlin Dom.
Another of the inside of the Berlin Dom

Sadly my camera died while I was in the Berlin Dom, so I wasn't able to get many pictures. There was so much beauty that couldn't be captured on my camera. It was the most beautiful building I've ever seen.
The World Clock at Alexanderplatz
In front of the World Clock at Alexanderplatz


Our versions of the Amplemann.
He's responsible for telling you when it's safe to cross at all the crosswalks in Berlin.





My first experience at a self serve bakery was perfect! It was truly love at first sight!

When it came to choosing desserts I chose a German dessert and Carolin chose an American dessert. Funny the way that works!

:)




When I arrived, Carolin insisted I try a Turkish Kebab. It was very good, but nothing like I expected! In Alabama kebabs are few and far between. My assumptions was that I would be getting some meat and veggies roasted on a skewer, nope! It was a sandwich! Blew your mind too, didn't it? It was such an interesting yet tasty combination!

I'd say it's clear that I'm from the South because I haven't a clue how to wear a winter hat on my head! This proved to be quite a struggle when it came to approving pictures. :) These are just a few of the pictures and wonderful experiences that I had while in Berlin. I hope to share the rest with you soon! Hopefully, in a bit more detail!

Have you ever been to Berlin?
If so, what was your favorite part? I'd love to hear!



No comments:

Post a Comment